It’s that time of year…FLU SEASON!!!
Here are some simple steps to help you try and stay away from that awful bug!
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water or antibacterial hand rub
2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
3. Avoid close contact with sick people
4. Practice good health habits. Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.
5. Cover your nose and mouth with a TISSUE WHEN YOU COUGH OR SNEEZE! Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don’t have a tissue, couch into your elbow or shoulder.
6. If you are sick with flu-like illness, STAY home for at LEAST 24 hours AFTER your fever is gone WITHOUT the use of a fever reducer.
If you are healthy and have been exposed because someone didn’t follow #6, there are some antiviral medications your doctor can prescribe that may prevent you from falling ill as well.
There are two different type of flu vaccinations available:
1. Nasal spray (live attenuated virus)
2. Trivalent or quadrivalent Injection (inactivated form of the virus)
Buddy it up with a Pneumonia vaccine and you are even less likely to feel the effects and complications of the flu season.
Join me in the pledge to get your flu vaccine!
National Flu Vaccine week is December 6-12, 2015! Let’s stay healthy and keep the workforce strong!
Kym Goodell, CDA, EFDA, EFODA